For part of my weekly blog posts I have decided to feature different design challenges followers, clients, and friends have asked me about.
I will post a style board or real life images with a product list and give design tips on how to achieve the look.
This weeks challenge is how to achieve a "Masculine Farmhouse Bedroom." I had a follower email me saying, "I love the look and feel of a farmhouse style bedroom, but my husband feels as though the style is too feminine. How can I achieve this look and still make my husband feel comfortable."
To me the "Farmhouse" style is anything but feminine. However, with todays trends the style can become a little more girly. The "Farmhouse" style has evolved into lots of white, ruffle linen fabric, curved feminine lines, lace... etc.- you know all the stuff we swoon over as women. So here is how to make todays "Farmhouse" trend work in a masculine way but still given subtle feminine touches.
Design Tips and Advise
- Pick a slightly darker paint color. This not only provides a warm environment but also is more masculine than lighter feminine colors. I would recommend SW-7044 Amazing Gray or SW-7045 Intellectual Gray.
- Wood accents. Nothing else screams masculinity like raw natural wood. From the style board you can see how I choose wooden nightstands, a wooden top accent table, deconstruction chair with exposed wooden framing, and a wooden chandelier. All these small details come together to really add a masculine atmosphere.
- Textured accent wall. Either an exposed brick wall or a wooden plank wall. This brings texture and rough edges into your room.
- Cow skin rug. Adding a cow skin rug really adds that masculine touch to any space.
- Linen. Yes I said linen. A linen upholstered bed gives that slight feminine touch but does not overpower the masculinity in to room. Same with the deconstruction chair.
All products are from WayFair.com.
- Upholstered Bed: Felisa Upholstered Wingback Panel Bed
- Nightstands: Heirloom Weathered Bachelor's Chest
- Chandelier: Castile 6 Light Candle-Style Chandelier
- Scones: Hyde Park Swing Arm Wall Lamp
- Deconstruction Chairs: Taverny Club Arm Chair
- Accent Table: Vintage End Table
- Cow Skin Rug: Designer Cowhides Brown and White Calf Skin Area Rug
I hope this helps those of you who are seeking a more masculine farmhouse bedroom. Also let me know what designs have you stumped. Comment below or email me with your design challenge questions. You might just see your question on one of my design challenges... Hope everyone has a wonderful week!