I normally do a weekly design challenge where I answer design challenges my clients, friends, or followers have but this week I'm asking y'all about my own design challenge.
I have debated whether or not to paint my kitchen cabinets since the day we moved into our house. The kitchen had recently been updated with all new cabinets, countertops, appliances, etc. However, the cabinet color, countertops, and appliance are not what I would have chosen myself.
I dream of a neutral kitchen with white or light colored cabinets. I would also like to add a center island but that is a whole other ballgame because my entire laundry room would have to be relocated. I am just scared to take the leap into painting my cabinets because there are so many factors to consider. Yes, this is coming from someone who paints furniture and designs kitchens for a living. And yes I have painted my bathroom vanity. But I have read countless DIY's and how to's and now I want to hear from people who have actual done it or have them in their kitchen.
Here are my questions and concerns:
1. What color to paint them?
- I truly love an all white kitchen but I think solid white cabinets, my current white countertops and white appliances might be a little too white. In a dream world I would paint them white (or just buy new ones since it's my dream world), get carrara marble countertops, and brand new stainless steel appliances- but like I said in a dream, because new countertops and appliance are not in the budget.
So I'm thinking a grey/beige color would look best with my countertops and white appliances. Along the lines of the colors in the pictures below.
2. Do I paint them or have them painted? I love smooth finish cabinets and I'm afraid if I paint them you will see brush marks. I imagine having them sprayed professionally would be the best option but I would love to hear some advise.
3. Are they durable? The last thing I want it paint chipping off or something that scratches easily. And if I do ever get a scratch is it something that can be touched up or does the entire cabinet have to be repainted?
4. Will it hurt the resale value of my home? This is a factor my husband brought up because we do not plan on living here forever. Will painting my cabinets lessen the value than if I were to keep them the solid wood color they are now? Below is a picture of my cabinets currently.
I would love to hear from someone who has painted their cabinets or someone who bought a home with painted cabinets. We have lived in our home 2 years and this idea has constantly lingered in the back of my mind. I want to know the good and the bad that comes with painting your kitchen cabinets. I just feel it will help our kitchen better blend with the rest of our home.